Milk proteins and their benefits

Milk has long been recognized as an important part of our diet, in particular for its calcium content, essential for normal bone development. Among other nutrients in milk, proteins account for 3.3%, including all nine essential amino acids required by human beings. The exact amount depends on a number of factors. Many of these proteins are not found elsewhere.

The hundreds of milk proteins are divided into two main groups: casein proteins (around 80%) and whey or serum proteins (the remaining 20%). Both are recognized as high-quality proteins, thanks to the quantity of amino acids and their digestibility. Casein proteins contain phosphorus, whereas serum proteins do not. Whey proteins assist in carrying vitamins, strengthening the immune system and building up muscle tissue. More specifically, lactoferrin contributes to improved iron absorption. They are also used industrially to improve the texture of yoghurt and to bind water to meat products such as sausages.

Whey proteins can be extracted from milk by first removing the cream (using centrifugation) and then filtering the remaining skimmed milk to remove the casein proteins, or curd. Armor Proteines develops and supplies a wide range of milk proteins to suit your requirements. Typical applications include improved food texture and low-fat products such as cheese or ready-made meals.

Protarmor™

Serum protein concentrates, the Protarmor™ range of products are used in dietetics. With a high essential amino acid content, they are a direct source of energy for muscles and ensure the maintenance of lean body mass.

Oragel

The Oragel™ range of products are serum protein concentrates. Their gelling properties are used in substitution or reduction of the fat in cheese and ready-made meals.

Hydrolysates

When hydrolyzing proteins, we obtain protein hydrolysates. Hydrolysis is the cutting of the proteins at the peptide bonds, resulting in smaller molecules such as polypeptides, peptides and amino acids. The hydrolysis of proteins changes their size, their charge as well as their functional and nutritional properties (digestibility, solubility, etc.)
Our experts answer your questions! Contact them!